Silicon South Network launches
Silicon South has launched a new supporter network for everyone working in the digital creative and tech sector in Bournemouth, Christchurch, Poole and Dorset.
This launch represents a big shift in the emphasis of what Silicon South stands for and delivers.
After several years of delivering support to businesses in the digital, creative and tech sector, set by a publicly funded agenda, we are changing to deliver an agenda set by the sector itself. The Network is being championed by a range of businesses from across the different elements of the sector who are all keen to promote the expertise and world-class talents of our sector.
Silicon South becomes a supporter-led organisation which will deliver three key goals:
- Build the reputation of the region’s sector, maximise the appeal of working for the companies in it – and attract people and business to locate here
- Strengthen the interest of potential customers in the services and products offered by businesses in our Network
- Improve the capability of local businesses to manage ever-evolving demands and opportunities, and deliver financially-sustainable, imaginative and innovative solutions
Our Ambition is to raise the reputation of the sector to a level that is nationally recognised, e.g. on par with Bristol, Manchester, Cardiff, etc.
Silicon South will develop a campaign strategy that can significantly extend the reach of our reputation, both inside and outside the region. The details of the campaign have not been set yet, we want to have a wider consultation with businesses, as they become supporters of the network, to make sure we take into consideration the aims of a wider range of companies.
The end-goal of this campaign work must be to improve knowledge about the sector with potential recruits and customers, and making sure this leads to concrete actions for our supporters – such as stronger employment or increased customer enquiries.
As a first step we have implemented a series of practical online functions that can provide support in delivering these bigger goals. This includes:
- News and stories: A single location where local business success stories and insights, demonstrating expert knowledge, can be found on this website. Primary mediums are articles, podcasts and videos.
- Promotion and social media: the Silicon South team will use social media as a principal medium to promote stories, backed up by PR and other marketing options
- Searchable database and map: The database on this website provides an overview of the expertise and skills offered by Network supporters. So they can be discovered by interested parties
- Jobs board: Displays the breadth of opportunities in the region, and emphasises the choice available to applicants to provide a destination for them to appreciate the range of opportunities on offer
- Contract finder: A place potential customers can advertise opportunities
- Speaker/expert opportunities: Allows companies from other sectors to find businesses or consultants that can deliver news expertise they need
The Silicon South team will also be running a range of activities to ensure to push the wider agenda:
- Develop links with other industries, to promote commercial potential offered by the sector and deliver meet-the-buyer activities especially around digitally-based innovation
- Networking: to enable companies to connect with other local companies to share advice or find potential pitching partners, including meetups and dinners at a peer-appropriate level
- Opportunities to grow and develop: The team will continue to deliver a range of programmes to support business leaders including: Mentoring; Access to expert advice; Specialist workshops and Masterclasses. We will use the expertise of the network to develop each other’s knowledge
- Employee support programme: Enable employees to gain access to peer-appropriate support, to enable them to develop their skills, gain confidence and overcome imposter syndrome.
Joining the network is easy and your best way to keep up to date with the opportunities that will be on offer. You can sign up here https://siliconsouth.org.uk/memberships/